Saturday 24 November 2007

My Amazing Journey - Rising to the Challenge!

Well, I have finally completed the challenge set by David in his post A challenge for you All. Although I was keen to record my daily jaunt from Cornwall to Devon across the River Tamar, the logistics of setting up the laptop with a webcam on the dashborad of the car were ones which I did not overcome. Eventually following David's lead (without bike!) I decided to set up my Camcorder instead! The first time was a disaster as the tape I chose to fix the camera came loose and the camera slid across the dash and back again! After a few days contemplation, David suggested duck tape! The next few days proved pointless with the good old British weather dampening proceedings! It was then, one bright crisp November morning that I ventured forth with duck tape and camcorder (duly charged and ready to go). If only I'd had foresight! A normal journey of 35 to 40 mins became 57 minutes. You will note the extended time taken to get through the Tamar Tunnel and across the bridge. Some unfortunate had caused an accident just off the toll gates of the bridge! Anyway the video got to its last length just as I arrived at my destination! Job done! Reducing the video file to just a little short of 8 minutes creates an almost rollercoaster feel to the ride -yes it makes me feel giddy, but then I've never been able to get on any fairground rides! For those of you who brave enough to view - have fun!


Yesterday I also recorded the journey home as this follows the route across the Torpoint Ferry. The light just about lasted! The end of the journey looks dark but, honestly I did have my lights on and could see clearly!




I have to admit that after completing the same journey for the past 7 years it had become a journey in automatic pilot. The challenge made me take note once again and although the camera sees only the road and wide angle straight ahead, the fields, the river, IK Brunel's bridge and the rising sun to the side made me realise how fortunate I am to live in such a beautiful county!

1 comment:

D A Kinane said...

Helen, yours is truly an amazing journey! Heaven knows what your monthly petrol bill must be! You are right, you travel through some amazing countryside and some exceptionally narrow streets, I forget how windy and narrow UK streets can be and the volume of traffic! At least now I know how to get to Woodford when I come and visit in January 2009! Well done.

Where is WJS?

Internet Safety

When I grow up....

A short video from teacher tube which really demonstrates how important technology is today and in the future.